The Policy Director is responsible for leading NFSN’s policy advocacy work. NFSN serves as a national voice for the farm to school movement and a leading resource on national, state and local policies that impact farm to school and farm to ECE. The Policy Director leads development and implementation of the organizational policy priorities to influence federal administrative, rulemaking and legislative actions, and oversees the annual report of state level policies supportive of farm to school and ECE. The Policy Director cultivates and maintains relationships with policymakers and partner organizations, directs and facilitates NFSN’s Policy Group, and educates and mobilizes NFSN Core Partners and stakeholders around key policy issues. This position will be based in Washington, DC, reporting to the Executive Director of NFSN.
Projected Start Date: February 27, 2017.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Lead the NFSN policy planning and prioritization process, informed by input from NFSN Core Partners, stakeholders and allies
• Implement NFSN policy priorities through engagement in administrative, legislative and rulemaking strategies and tactics
• Identify and cultivate administrative and Congressional champions to support NFSN policy priorities
• Strengthen NFSN Core Partner capacity for engaging in effective policy advocacy, grassroots and media strategies
• Monitor and track policy developments and current issues, including state farm to school advocacy efforts
• Represent NFSN at conferences, meetings and public events • Guide and facilitate NFSN’s Policy Group • Supervise other policy staff, fellows and interns
• Ensure integration of NFSN policy activities into programs and communications strategies
• Cultivate alliances and engage with strategic partners to implement effective federal policy advocacy strategies and tactics
• Cultivate funder relationships important for NFSN’s policy advocacy efforts
• Participate in discussions and activities related to NFSN programmatic work as needed
• Travel as needed for conducting the duties of the position and for representing NFSN GROWING STRONGER TOGETHER A PROJECT OF TIDES CENTER
Other Duties and Responsibilities
• Participate in staff meetings
• Complete the organizational monthly monitoring survey to report and track activities, including lobbying
• Contribute to fundraising, including grant writing
• Lead policy advocacy related reporting requirements
• Serve as point of contact for managing NFSN’s DC office Education and/or Experience
• College degree plus at least 4-6 years of experience developing and implementing policy and at least 2 years of experience in a leadership position, supervising others
• Excellent performance history in prior positions
Compensation and Benefits: This is a full-time (40 hours per week), exempt position that includes benefits. Salary range is $68,000 - $72,000 and is commensurate with experience. NFSN/Tides Center offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Work Environment: This position is based in Washington, DC. While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the employee will encounter: a basic office environment, visits to the hill, schools or farms, conference centers or hotels where events are being held.